Did you know that Blockbuster had the chance to buy Netflix in 2000 - and turned it down? Did you know there is one last Blockbuster remaining in Oregon, and it’s now an AirBnb that hosts unlimited movie nights? Did you know that you actually had until 3pm - not noon - to get that VHS tape back into the Blockbuster Quik (no c) Drop?
Whether you knew those trivia facts or not - if you loved going to Blockbuster in the 90s, this episode is for you.
This week I am by myself discussing one of the most comforting and nostalgic topics I could muster after last week’s heavy events - Blockbuster Video, and the ecstatic experience of going to the Blue and Yellow on Friday nights for your weekend video haul. So pop some popcorn and travel back to the 90s with me as we browse the aisles, imagine a Blockbuster amusement park (yes, that was almost a thing), and recall the golden rule of the decade: be kind, rewind.
- “World’s last Blockbuster transforms into a 90s-themed Airbnb,” NBCNews.comm, August 2020: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/world-s-last-blockbuster-transforms-90s-themed-airbnb-n1236476
- “11 reasons why we still miss Blockbuster,” Insider.com, August 2018: https://www.insider.com/reasons-to-miss-blockbuster-2018-8
- “Remembering the Glory Days of the Video Rental Store,” Atlas Obscura, August 2018: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/glory-days-of-the-video-rental-store
- “21 Memories Every Kid Who Rented From Blockbuster WIll Have,” BuzzFeed, June 2017: https://www.buzzfeed.com/karlaagis/blockbuster-blues
- “Guys, Blockbuster Wasn’t That Great,” Vulture, August 2019: https://www.vulture.com/2019/08/guys-blockbuster-wasnt-that-great.html
- “19 Things everyone who used to go to Blockbuster will remember,” Insider, August 2018: https://www.insider.com/best-things-blockbuster-2018-8
- ‘Be Kind, Rewind: Remembering the Golden Age of Blockbuster,” NY Times, March 2019: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/08/reader-center/remembering-blockbuster-videos.html
- “The rise and fall of Blockbuster,” Business Insider, August 2020: https://www.businessinsider.com/rise-and-fall-of-blockbuster?amp
- “Blockbuster’s CEO once passed up a chance to buy Netflix for only $50 million”, Business Insider, July 2015: https://www.businessinsider.com/blockbuster-ceo-passed-up-chance-to-buy-netflix-for-50-million-2015-7