In this episode of Minds & Mics, I talk with psychologist and author Pia Callesen about overthinking and the metacognitive approach to emotional struggles like anxiety and depression.
Here are some of the highlights from our conversation:
- What is overthinking, exactly?
- Types of overthinking
- The 2 reasons why we overthink
- The difference between anxious and depressive overthinking
- Overthinking as a universal mechanism for emotional suffering
- Scheduled overthinking
- Metacognitive Therapy vs traditional Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Metacognitive Therapy vs Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- The busy train station metaphor
- The windowpane experiment
- The problem with coping skills
- How will psychotherapy be different in 50 years?
You can learn more about Pia and her work here:
Get New Episodes First
Learn more about the Minds & Mics podcast here, including how to subscribe and get all my newest episodes as soon as they’re released